Hi10 Anime
You must be logged in to access this site's content.

Latest news: read here

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hi10 Anime
You must be logged in to access this site's content.

Latest news: read here

Ideas to help improve this site?

+11
Wanderer
red
Kuroneko-Sama
zeust
Noihara
RanDom
ClericLaw
b-cix
K!RA
Kenjo
devileyes
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ideas to help improve this site? Empty Ideas to help improve this site?

Post by devileyes Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:42 am

Ok so we were having this conversation in chat on how this site can be improved, and we thought of several ideas like:
-Use mega.co.nz to promote downloads for the new series temporarily in order to lessen the stress on the servers, and since the downloads are really fast adding ads to the links wont be opposed because ultimately people will be saving time by using those downloads..
-use other alternatives such as mediafire, rapidshare etc... but mega is the most recommended one...
-MY OWN FAVORITE is using xdcc downloads, it's easy and really fast, you only need to setup an irc channel and have someone to host a bot for you which i believe anyone can help to do so and most people on irc channels are willing to help.. (i know some people that own subgroups, i can ask them if they're willing to help you out)..
-torrents are handy indeed, but keep in mind that not all people know how to use them, it's not available in all areas, and is slow at the beginning since it requires seeds, so pressure on the servers will continue still..

so those were our ideas to help improve this site, so please take them into consideration...
devileyes
devileyes

Back to top Go down

Ideas to help improve this site? Empty Re: Ideas to help improve this site?

Post by Kenjo Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:59 am

and here's my promised support. +1. Razz

due to the server bandwidth/connection requests reaching its limits, the idea to use free filehosts for new season series came about. It was deduced that the new series were the ones causing the huge traffic yesterday, though it's mere speculation. 

Nonetheless, not only would it be beneficial to those eager to watch the series right away, but would certainly lessen strain on the server and help maintain its monthly quota. Once the series is completed, files could then be transferred to the main server. 

The only trouble i could see is that the encoders would then need to upload the series twice, and not all our encoders are given the blessing of a high speed internet.
Kenjo
Kenjo

Character sheet
Character Name: Roronoa
Profession: Pirate Hunter
Level:
Ideas to help improve this site? Left_bar_bleue1/1Ideas to help improve this site? Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)

Back to top Go down

Post by devileyes Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:06 am

Kenjo wrote:and here's my promised support. +1. Razz

due to the server bandwidth/connection requests reaching its limits, its a good idea to use free filehosts for new series, and only for new series. It was deduced that the new series were the ones causing the huge traffic yesterday, though it's mere speculation. 

Nonetheless, not only would it be beneficial to those eager to watch the series right away, but would certainly lessen strain on the server and help maintain its monthly quota. Once the series is completed, files could then be transferred to Hi10's server. 

The only trouble i could see is that the encoders would then need to upload the series twice, and not all our encoders are given the blessing of a high speed internet.

thanks for the support Smile
also regarding that problem, a workaround can be implemented and that is using dropbox shared folder, as in designate someone to upload those new episodes to mega.co.nz and have all uploaders make a shared folder with that uploader, and when everything is done, the uploader is the only one who'll be uploading the episodes at the end ... how does that sound?
devileyes
devileyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenjo Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:25 am

it's possible.... if only there's someone willing to be that intermediary. it can even be made from teams of 2 or 3s to lessen the burden of having one uploader by the end of the season. This intermediary should be the one to have the fastest connection so it wont be much of a hassle.
Kenjo
Kenjo

Character sheet
Level:
Ideas to help improve this site? Left_bar_bleue1/1Ideas to help improve this site? Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)

Back to top Go down

Post by devileyes Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:28 am

Kenjo wrote:it's possible.... if only there's someone willing to be that intermediary. it can even be made from teams of 2 or 3s to lessen the burden of having one uploader by the end of the season. This intermediary should be the one to have the fastest connection so it wont be much of a hassle.

well i have a 10 mbps upload speed, so i should be able to help a little bit.. but i dont know if they're willing to let me help though...
devileyes
devileyes

Back to top Go down

Post by K!RA Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:35 am

I think xdcc downloads is a good idea also " Use mega.co.nz to promote downloads for the new series temporarily in order to lessen the stress on the servers" can help with the limited bandwidth
also limiting download speed per ip to 120-150 KB/s can help reduce the downloads to a sensible level
K!RA
K!RA

Character sheet
Character Name: Killua Zoldyck
Profession: Assassin/Hunter
Level:

Back to top Go down

Post by devileyes Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:08 am

karimbaraka wrote:I think xdcc downloads is a good idea also " Use mega.co.nz to promote downloads for the new series temporarily in order to lessen the stress on the servers" can help with the limited bandwidth
also limiting download speed per ip to 120-150 KB/s can help reduce the downloads to a sensible level

even though reducing the download speeds may help, but it's only to a certain extent, because no matter how slow the speeds are, people will just leave the downloads open to finish.. so alternatives are the best way to go for now...
devileyes
devileyes

Back to top Go down

Post by b-cix Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:03 am

+1 for this cheers 

Also compressing the file into zip/rar + give it a name that unrelated to the original name may help to prevent the file host(s) from deleting the file due to DMCA or whatever they called it.
b-cix
b-cix

Character sheet
Character Name: Zwei
Profession: Assassin
Level:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenjo Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:11 am

compressing the video to zip/rar however is not good for videos, as pointed out by our encoders before. Might as well rename the mkv file itself as search engines could easily track contents of compressed files anyway.
Kenjo
Kenjo

Character sheet
Level:

Back to top Go down

Post by devileyes Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:30 am

b-cix wrote:+1 for this cheers 

Also compressing the file into zip/rar + give it a name that unrelated to the original name may help to prevent the file host(s) from deleting the file due to DMCA or whatever they called it.
we don't have to worry about DMCA if we use mega.co.nz or xdcc
devileyes
devileyes

Back to top Go down

Post by b-cix Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:41 am

Kenjo wrote:compressing the video to zip/rar however is not good for videos, as pointed out by our encoders before. Might as well rename the mkv file itself as search engines could easily track contents of compressed files anyway.

I see. But this is first time i heard about it, as far as i know compressing file using winrar wouldn't reduce the quality of video file.

devileyes wrote:
we don't have to worry about DMCA if we use mega.co.nz or xdcc
YAAAYYYY monkey05
b-cix
b-cix

Character sheet
Level:

Back to top Go down

Post by devileyes Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:42 am

b-cix wrote:
Kenjo wrote:compressing the video to zip/rar however is not good for videos, as pointed out by our encoders before. Might as well rename the mkv file itself as search engines could easily track contents of compressed files anyway.

I see. But this is first time i heard about it, as far as i know compressing file using winrar wouldn't reduce the quality of video file.

what you're referring to is splitting not compressing Razz
devileyes
devileyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenjo Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:49 am

isn't archiving a file to rar/zip already a form of compression? monkey09
Kenjo
Kenjo

Character sheet
Level:

Back to top Go down

Post by b-cix Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:51 am

devileyes wrote:
what you're referring to is splitting not compressing Razz

No i really mean compressing not splitting Razz
"WinZip compression is lossless. When you extract the files in a Zip file created by WinZip, the result will be exact, byte for byte duplicates of the original files. There is no loss of fidelity, no loss of image quality, and no change in data associated with zipping or unzipping. In fact, WinZip's default setting will preserve extended time stamps so that the files you zip and unzip will have the same Modified, Created, and Accessed date and time."

Well i dunno if it's true though

Kenjo wrote:isn't archiving a file to rar/zip already a form of compression? monkey09
Yes Very Happy 
b-cix
b-cix

Character sheet
Level:

Back to top Go down

Post by ClericLaw Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:04 am

If you want........................ I dun mind. I'm blessed with the high speed internet that Kenjo Mentions
ClericLaw
ClericLaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenjo Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:33 am

ClericLaw wrote:If you want........................ I dun mind. I'm blessed with the high speed internet that Kenjo Mentions

you were actually the top of mind when i said that. xD. For this to work though, we need:

1) the approval of the rest of the encoders so they could pass the episodes to you (or to devileyes, or to whoever else is interested to help);
2) a shared dropbox account with the encoders (or if skydrive have the same shared function as well, it might be better cause i dont think dropbox's 2GB is sufficient)
3) a prompt response in emptying the dropbox/skydrive account and transferring them to mega/xdcc bot and lastly;

4) an utmost desire to upload it again on hi10 server once completed.

Last edited by Kenjo on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Kenjo
Kenjo

Character sheet
Level:

Back to top Go down

Post by RanDom Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:38 am

Some day back we were considering about the free file hosting, not only mega but multiple hosts using multi-upload services like embedupload which allows remote url uploading, this way it is possible for the encoders to upload their files in the server like always, then upload them to embedupload easily (or any other service with remote url uploading), the only problem is that the server upload speed is still too low so most likely there will be delays for the ongoing releases, also the ddl for these releases should be removed otherwise the problem will still be the same as it is now. Basically the server could be used like a database to send files to embedupload, removing ddl for the recent series the overall load will be surely reduced but, I think probably there will be some complaints about the removal of ddl links, so we should decide between:

1):
- Free file hosting (ex: embedupload)
- Torrent (always with web seeds)
- No DDL links.

2):
- DDL links with no cap (as it is now)

3):
- DDL links capped speed (I don't know what speed limit should be used yet, but most likely very slow)

Between the 3 options above, the 1st would be the most convenient for the server but, it is also the most unproductive for the community (because Hi10 Anime became an appreciated site thanks to DDL links too).

The second option most likely would be the favourite because it offers all the 3 methods but, it might take a lot of time for the current situation to stabilize because most people will still be using DDL instead of the free file hosting.

The 3rd and last option is something like the previous 2, since the DDL speed is the same as the web seeds, both DDL and torrent speeds will be reduced, it might work for anyone who has a low speed connection or for anyone who doesn't care about getting the latest files asap, but I'm pretty sure there will be complaints about the capped speed (which will be very slow, I don't know how much slow though, we've to decide based on the server stats).

Discalimer: this is just my little personal poll, nothing official but, if you want to say anything about it, every opinion is appreciated.

Now, back to the topic, about XDCC the speed will still be based on the connection of the person hosting the bot and it requires that person to be costantly connected to the internet, my speed is like 48 kb/s and I can barely browse the site while seeding my torrents at the same time so I cannot help with that but, if we've many people willing to host XDCC bots in their pcs, personally I've nothing against that and I think everyone else supports this idea, so if anyone has a good upload capacity and wants to do it, go ahead Very Happy

Here is a guide about the IRC channel:
http://web.hi10anime.com/irc-channel-guide/

I've no idea how to set bots and such but, I think you can contact Zash or Khaos about the commands for the bots and stuff, once everything is set then we can make a page with the list of commands and everything.

Btw for anyone who didn't read the news, the speed was reduced because the bandwidth cap was reached yesterday, now is limited to 10 mbit/s instead of 1 gbit/s like before and it will be like that for a while. The server will be transfered to Iceland (that's what the provider promised us) because right now it's in Germany and it's limited to 10 TB/month, basically it would cost additional 125€ for 50 TB in Germany, while in Icealnd there will be no additional prices for the same bandwidth, so we've to wait for a while, the reason is that the provider didn't have an available server for us to host in Iceland, the number of servers is limited.

When paypal was blocked and the old server was going to expire, the things were rushed to avoid the loss of all files so this is the situation.
RanDom
Admin

Character sheet
Character Name: Happy
Profession: Exceed Mage
Level:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenjo Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:41 pm

RanDom wrote:
the only problem is that the server upload speed is still too low so most likely there will be delays for the ongoing releases, also the ddl for these releases should be removed otherwise the problem will still be the same as it is now. 
in the case of new releases, torrents seems to be the lesser evil, but still adds to server stress due to webseeds. Since not all could use torrents and given that uploading via remote url (hi10server-to-embedupload) would be too slow, the proposed dropbox-to-mega/xdcc procedure above can be a temporary solution, at least until files are completely transferred to iceland and the server stabilizes once again. IMHO, DDLs should be a no-go until the 50TB is at hand.
RanDom wrote:
Between the 3 options above, the 1st would be the most convenient for the server but, it is also the most unproductive for the community (because Hi10 Anime became an appreciated site thanks to DDL links too).
Actually, all those options are plausible. Im pretty sure those who appreciated the DDL links before would understand the need to resort to filehosts. As for future comers who would be new to hi10, I think they would just need to make-do with either (option 1) or (option 3), as a compromise for DDLs is necessary.

Option 2 is risky with the current 10TB plan. The use of filehosts would be made useless if DDLs would still exist as it is now since there are those with no sympathy whatsoever who don't even know how to read FAQs page, let alone this forum. it should be the last thing to be tested out, at least not until everybody get used to freehosts/XDCCbots.

Last edited by Kenjo on Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kenjo
Kenjo

Character sheet
Level:

Back to top Go down

Post by b-cix Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:28 pm

IMHO you can use method 2 or 3, as for the 1st one there's no guarantee that the file host wouldn't delete the files. Method 2 not that risky as long as you use a file host which support resume download for free user and have the same/better speed than DDL.
But i think the best method is the 3rd one, limit the DDL speed (make it slower that the file host speed).
b-cix
b-cix

Character sheet
Level:

Back to top Go down

Post by Noihara Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:39 pm

RanDom wrote:
Some day back we were considering about the free file hosting, not only mega but multiple hosts using multi-upload services like embedupload which allows remote url uploading, this way it is possible for the encoders to upload their files in the server like always, then upload them to embedupload easily (or any other service with remote url uploading), the only problem is that the server upload speed is still too low so most likely there will be delays for the ongoing releases, also the ddl for these releases should be removed otherwise the problem will still be the same as it is now. Basically the server could be used like a database to send files to embedupload, removing ddl for the recent series the overall load will be surely reduced but, I think probably there will be some complaints about the removal of ddl links, so we should decide between:

1):
- No DDL links.

2):
- DDL links with no cap (as it is now)

3):
- DDL links capped speed (I don't know what speed limit should be used yet, but most likely very slow)

The second option most likely would be the favourite because it offers all the 3 methods but, it might take a lot of time for the current situation to stabilize because most people will still be using DDL instead of the free file hosting.

The 3rd and last option is something like the previous 2, since the DDL speed is the same as the web seeds, both DDL and torrent speeds will be reduced, it might work for anyone who has a low speed connection or for anyone who doesn't care about getting the latest files asap, but I'm pretty sure there will be complaints about the capped speed (which will be very slow, I don't know how much slow though, we've to decide based on the server stats).

Discalimer: this is just my little personal poll, nothing official but, if you want to say anything about it, every opinion is appreciated.

Now, back to the topic, about XDCC the speed will still be based on the connection of the person hosting the bot and it requires that person to be costantly connected to the internet, my speed is like 48 kb/s and I can barely browse the site while seeding my torrents at the same time so I cannot help with that but, if we've many people willing to host XDCC bots in their pcs, personally I've nothing against that and I think everyone else supports this idea, so if anyone has a good upload capacity and wants to do it, go ahead Very Happy

Here is a guide about the IRC channel:
http://web.hi10anime.com/irc-channel-guide/

I've no idea how to set bots and such but, I think you can contact Zash or Khaos about the commands for the bots and stuff, once everything is set then we can make a page with the list of commands and everything.

Btw for anyone who didn't read the news, the speed was reduced because the bandwidth cap was reached yesterday, now is limited to 10 mbit/s instead of 1 gbit/s like before and it will be like that for a while. The server will be transfered to Iceland (that's what the provider promised us) because right now it's in Germany and it's limited to 10 TB/month, basically it would cost additional 125€ for 50 TB in Germany, while in Icealnd there will be no additional prices for the same bandwidth, so we've to wait for a while, the reason is that the provider didn't have an available server for us to host in Iceland, the number of servers is limited.

When paypal was blocked and the old server was going to expire, the things were rushed to avoid the loss of all files so this is the situation.
+1 to this thread
i prefer method 1 because what's the point of using free file hosting site if you still gonna put DDL, the reason for using free file hosting site is to lessen bandwidth consume right? so there is no need to put DDL for a while since it's only temporary. btw the only anime that will be uploaded to those file sharing site are new anime/current airing since they are the cause of unexpected fast reaching bandwidth limit.

Last edited by Noihara on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Noihara
Noihara

Character sheet
Character Name: Noihara
Profession: Hikikomori
Level:

Back to top Go down

Post by RanDom Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:55 pm

Even if the files get deleted from the free hosting sites, they can be reuploaded anytime through the remote url upload of embedupload, it also supports Mega.co.nz so there's no problem about that.
For the shared dropbox, I don't think we need to use that, I mean it would only slow the procedure, the encoder uploading speed is the same so if they've to upload on dropbox then they could upload directly to embedupload using the classic method (browse > upload).
It is true that the web seed still takes the server bandwidth but torrents without web seeds most likely will die in a week or 2, I can seed my files but with my speed it will take weeks for anyone to download any file from me and I don't know about the other encoders, I think most of us already are seeding their releases. Most of the times the only seed available in old torrents is just the web seed.
Option n. 2 is probably very risky in the current situation, personally I think if the bandwidth were 50 TB it could work, not right away but, with some time people would start using download managers like MiPony or JDownloader and forget the DDL links. I would give it a try, we've to see what the provider is going to do about the server, I hope they give us an ETA for the transfer as soon as possible.
RanDom
Admin

Character sheet
Level:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenjo Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:01 pm

oh that's awesome. i'd opt for option 1 all day then.

We were going for the more familiar storage both for leechers and encoders alike (in this case dropbox/skydrive), as we were trying to avoid the hassle of the encoder having to upload his/her releases twice, but at the expense of an intermediary uploader. Well in any case, by all means, we should take advantage of those fleeting free hosts. 

as for currently airing series, if filehosts would be used, i guess it becomes impractical to use torrents for single episodes. Only when the series is completed would the torrent becomes useful as a batch. Again, this is if filehosts are to be used for the new episodes. 

yeah, that ETA is crucial in defining which course of action to pursue.
Kenjo
Kenjo

Character sheet
Level:

Back to top Go down

Post by devileyes Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:49 pm

Kenjo wrote:oh that's awesome. i'd opt for option 1 all day then.

We were going for the more familiar storage both for leechers and encoders alike (in this case dropbox/skydrive), as we were trying to avoid the hassle of the encoder having to upload his/her releases twice, but at the expense of an intermediary uploader. Well in any case, by all means, we should take advantage of those fleeting free hosts. 

as for currently airing series, if filehosts would be used, i guess it becomes impractical to use torrents for single episodes. Only when the series is completed would the torrent becomes useful as a batch. Again, this is if filehosts are to be used for the new episodes. 

yeah, that ETA is crucial in defining which course of action to pursue.

sweet mate, awesome ideas so far.. keep em coming, however i just hope that they would let us help...
devileyes
devileyes

Back to top Go down

Post by RanDom Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:10 pm

devileyes wrote:sweet mate, awesome ideas so far.. keep em coming, however i just hope that they would let us help...
Sure any help is welcome, it's just that to upload in mega and similar hosting services we can use the remote url upload which is really easy, the files must be uploaded only once in the encoder's folder that is inside the server, then the server will upload the files automatically through the remote url upload (the enoder doesn't have to do anything, it's basically 1-click step), it's really simple and there's no need to use any other service for it, also is more easy for the encoder to manage the files and the updates this way.
I don't know anything about XDCC but sure why not, the bots would help a lot, many other sites like this are using XDCC.
RanDom
Admin

Character sheet
Level:

Back to top Go down

Post by devileyes Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:21 pm

RanDom wrote:
devileyes wrote:sweet mate, awesome ideas so far.. keep em coming, however i just hope that they would let us help...
Sure any help is welcome, it's just that to upload in mega and similar hosting services we can use the remote url upload which is really easy, the files must be uploaded only once in the encoder's folder that is inside the server, then the server will upload the files automatically through the remote url upload (the enoder doesn't have to do anything, it's basically 1-click step), it's really simple and there's no need to use any other service for it, also is more easy for the encoder to manage the files and the updates this way.
I don't know anything about XDCC but sure why not, the bots would help a lot, many other sites like this are using XDCC.

alright i'll be asking my friends about xdcc then and i'll let you know what happens with me later...
devileyes
devileyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next